With workplaces transforming at a tremendous rate, the way, when and where people work is also changing. Teams that used to all sit within the same office are now scattered across the globe and the need to perform routine tasks is decreasing. Employees are now being asked to solve more complex problems, which increasingly requires creativity and most importantly, collaboration.
A modern Intranet or Digital Workplace isn’t about having tools and technology, but rather the experience you create for your employees and how well you enable your people to use the tools available to help them (and your organisation) to succeed.
The earliest versions of employee Intranets generally housed basic company information which could become stagnant and redundant. Today, the modern Intranet is experiencing a resurgence. We recognise that nearly all organisations need a Digital Workplace hub where:
- employees can go to stay informed on all mandatory communications
- make sense of and integrate with all their digital productivity tools
- connect with internal experts and co-workers
- find fresh up-to-date information
- socially interact across geographical and departmental lines
When Intelogy begins a modern Intranet journey with new clients, we always start by getting to know their culture, strategies and the business processes they are trying to support. This is because an effective Intranet should be designed and implemented with business and user requirements at the forefront.
Here are some basic rules to keep in mind when designing and building an Intranet:
- A modern Intranet is always with you – easy to access whether you are on-the-go, at home or in an office. Think of all your workers including those who may be out in the field, or even the bring-your-own-device (BYOD) which is now starting to trend across organisations around the globe. Empowering users to choose the tools that best suit them will ensure maximum uptake.
- A modern Intranet promotes collaboration – It is time to step out of the old school silos and work together. We are now in a social networking era: liking, commenting, tagging, sharing, and almost any other activity you can think of that people use to share their information and knowledge. Your Intranet should instil a new collective mentality: collaboration is the key to success!
- A modern Intranet makes things easier – It should allow you to do less for to achieve more, making a goal or task easier or more efficient. Employees should be able to find information they require quicker and easier, resulting in both time saving and overall business cost savings as staff are able to increase productivity.
- A modern Intranet should make employees happier – Good user experience is key. It should be intuitive to use, easy to navigate, have effective search, and a recognisable company brand. These features should increase employee productivity, communication, and as a result, satisfaction. It should also aim to aid the onboarding process for new employees.
Intelogy has a defined approach to plan, design, implement and support your corporate Intranet strategy.
Read all about our approach in the blog below.